Our philosophy

NHA believes all teachers are teachers of EL students and we are committed to ensuring that EL students have access to high-quality education and instruction. We believe that student learning is first and foremost an adult responsibilty. If a student has not mastered the material we have taught them, then we must adjust our instructional strategies.



Sunday, February 17, 2013

Crossing Continents via the Mailbox

I have stolen yet another lovely idea from our friends at Hamtramck Charter in Michigan.

You know, for many of our kids, the world is what they see in a 10-block radius. Let's try and broaden that lens. Take a look www.postcrossing.com ,a site that allows you to participate in a more modern (less annoying) version of the "chain letter". Send and receive postcards from all over the world. It's a nice way to do a writing project in an unplugged way.

I'm excited about it, I think I'll join as well :) Start decorating my desk. Hamtramck had great wall art in using a map with push pins denoting where the postcard originated from. And I don't have to tell you, we could all use some refreshers when it comes to geography.

No comments:

Post a Comment